Tuesday, June 10, 2008

I'd like to dedicate this song to.......


The one thing I really miss in New York, is the radio. No, not the top 40's, not Ryan Seacrest, definitely not any rap songs that refer to body parts as candy....I miss Delilah (and not the same one the Plain White T's miss, that song had to go F up her name.) Every night when I'd drive home from dance when I was a teenager, I tuned in to Delilah, she was like my radio mother. Then, when I moved to L.A. I settled for any late night talk show, where their voices sound like butter, the words are perfectly picked and placed on sentimental callers. And just like a doctor prescribes a pill and designates the ailment, the radio show host prescribes- a song. The effort someone puts forth to pick the song, had the patience to "tune in", write the letter and stay on hold has a sort of old time romance about it.


I've tried calling in before. Usually with no plan of what I'm gong to say or who I'd want to dedicate a song to but with hope that when they answered I'd gush out years of untapped "thank you's", apologies, misplaced gratitude and "I am changed because of you" sentiments. I'd open the floodgates, and literally pour out every time I wish I would've been a better (enter any role here), I'd gush every word that wanted to tell someone how I felt about them but I couldn't because my fear or pride got in the way. I'd call "just cause", since sometimes those are the calls people need the most.


I would unlock a fountain that contains all of the times I forgot to give my parents a card on their anniversary, or when I wanted to bawl in my car to a Celine Dion song when I was "losing my way" but I wasn't listening to the right tune. The DJ's voice, just like a therapist, would put lightness towards a situation I'd let grow beyond myself into something more than it was. I would pour out every emotion that could easily be mended by melodies. I'm sure that a lot of those emotions would involve unrequited love and pent up heartbreak that I've tried convincing myself I'm "over". Maybe if I'd gotten through as "devoted listener and caller #5" and dedicated "Make you feel my love" he would've understood. As clever as I can be with words, I don't feel like there's anything as powerful as music.


Had I ever gotten through; I would had Charlotte Martin sing "Everytime it rains" to everyone that stumbles and thinks they'll never be able to get dust themselves off, who forgets that "rain" isn't always a bad thing. Instead of using my own words I'd have Coldplay narrate what I really meant. Denvendra Banhart "I feel like a child" would have been the theme song to all of my "play dates" which I take often. Since I'm too much of a coward, Jason Mraz would sing, "If it kills me" to the person I think I'm perfect for, but he has no clue. I'd want my Dad to rock out to "Sky High" by Kanye West and my Ma to "Meaning" by Gavin Degraw. And when I meet my next "someone" he has to be just like the man India Arie wrote about in, "The Truth."


So dear listener, who would you like to dedicate a song to today?






33 comments:

Jess said...

Oh my god Delilah! With her velvety voice and cheesy songs for every occasion! She is timeless for sure.

A Margarita said...

I'm dedicating a song to that boy who's gonna wake up one day and know in his bones that he made a mistake, because he did :) -

Sister Hazel, "Beautiful Thing."

ashley said...

I really love Delilah too. She almost always made me cry. What a woman.

Alexis said...

Well, first I must confess that I could never stand Delilah. Her voice always really got on my nerves...but that's just me.

I'd dedicate "Champaigne High" as the song for the Ex who let me get away. Then "Where Do I Begin" by Idina Menzel for G, to some how try and say the things that always sound awkward coming out of my mouth day to day.

:)

Shannon said...

What a wonderful post idea. You know, I still tune in to her every once in a while if I catch her on. I alway get a big smile on my face when I realized I got in car at the right moment in time to hear her words of wisdom. Thank God for Delilah.

Shannon said...

What a wonderful post idea. You know, I still tune in to her every once in a while if I catch her on. I alway get a big smile on my face when I realized I got in car at the right moment in time to hear her words of wisdom. Thank God for Delilah.

Tara said...

I'd dedicate "What Might've Been" to my first love. I always wondered what would've happened if things had taken their own course instead of being influenced by outside forces.

CULTURE CREATORS said...

cute blog, love the title. haha:)

CC

Chele said...

Oh I used to love tuning into radio and late night love dedications. Think I dedicated Crazy by Aerosmith back in 94 to some guy I had a crush on. Today I want to dedicate My ex lover is dead by stars to the idiot who just rejected me...hehehe

girlinterrupted1218 said...

I love Delilah. I guess I didn't know she was syndicated. I thought I was the only lucky area to hear her buttery voice. I would dedicate Stay or Leave by DMB to my Ex.

Chelsea Talks Smack said...

chele- I WAS OBSESSED WITH YOUR EX LOVER IS DEAD. OBSESSED nice choice.

Katelin said...

i feel so out of the loop for not knowing who this delilah woman is. shame on me, i know.

and i would dedicate o.a.r's 'road outside columbus' to my most fabulous college friends.

morton said...

Let me see here, there are so many possibilities of songs I could dedicate to people who deserve said dedications.

"macho macho man" (village people) to my sperm
"hit me with your best shot" (pat benetar) to my wife ovaries.

okay on a more serious note,

"old friend" (rancid) for my friend emily.

"luna" (smashing pumpkins) for my friend kristin.

"posion oak" (bright eyes) for long lost friend nathan.

Okay, why do I feel like I'm in 4th grade calling in the radio station?

radical.

Matt said...

I would like to dedicate "1973" to one of my friends from college. I just heard from her today and that song reminds me of her.

Daszzle said...

Hugs! So, I'm not the only one out there tuning into Delilah like she can answer some sort of secret prayer. Hmm, now for my song choice... how about "Do You Believe in Love" by Cher. It's both soulful but empowering. I think Delilah would approve ;).

Bayjb said...

OMG Delilah, I remember her! She would play on late night radio in Wisconsin. A woman I work with sounds like her too!

Chelsea Talks Smack said...

bayjb- ooooo I'm not gonna lie, that might be rough having someone talk like that ALL the time

Chelsea Talks Smack said...

oh and I forgot Morton- GREAT DEDICATIONS.

Chelsea Talks Smack said...

oh and I forgot Morton- GREAT DEDICATIONS.

Kim said...

I was listening to that station yesterday actually.
Hm, I would dedicate "Drops of Jupiter" to my Mom. Everytime one of us hear it we always call one another. :-)

kris said...

How is it possible that you don't have Delilah? I thought she was everywhere, like Oprah! Oh, sadness.

The Flash said...

I'd like to dedicate Don Henley's "Sometimes love just ain't enough", to my recent ex-girlfriend, Pop Iris. I still love her very much, and even though our life plans may not have us coming together, I still hope that she treasures the time we had as much as I do, and that she'll carry me in her heart the way I still carry her in mine.

Oh, and Chelsea, you can check out Delilah here: http://www.radiodelilah.com/home/home.html

And for those pretty young thangs in the NYC area- I swear, I'm not gay, I just wrote like that because, y'know, it's Delilah.

Rebecca said...

I would dedicate a song to my GI tract. Something about "let's get together so we can feel alright...". I love Bob but HATE my belly right now.

Tha BossMack TopSoil said...

Lovely babygurl ;-)

well-intentioned heartbreaker said...

making memories of us - keith urban: to my girlfriend, cause it's our song.

pain - lil wayne: to my best friend who moved to montreal 2 months ago.

and

girls - d12: to two bitches i can't stand.

morton said...

I have to ask, Chelsea, how did you get your playlist player to fit on your sidebar?

I can't figure it out.

morton said...

Nevermind, I thought you had yours fitting perfectly; but it appears yours is doing the same thing as mine.

Michelle & the City said...

oh i love delilah!! i'm pretty sure she's still on the radio, i think i heard her on my last trip home when i was surfing stations.

i would dedicate "better as a memory" to clancy. while i am devastated that we broke up, i know now he is definitely better as a memory.

Erika said...

I love Delilah too. We had it in Cincinnati... i just move to AZ, I wonder if we have it here...

Lauren said...

I was in the car once with my younger brother and parents. We were driving home after a Christmas Eve celebration and Delilah was on. At the same time, my mom, brother, and I all sing her notoriously well known opening, "de-liii-laaah." My dad looked at us all very confused and inquired "how do you all KNOW that?!" My answer: "It's Delilah, Dad. EVERYONE loves Delilah." I'm glad to know it's true.

Dolce said...

I used to work for a Delilah syndicate radio station and used to listen to her constantly; I can't take much of her now (thank you XM). If I was to dedicate a song, it would be to my BFF in Chicago. I miss her, but I'm not quite sure what song i would pick...there are too many.

eleigh said...

Delilahhh...love someone toniiiiiight.

Except she sometimes made some awful choices, ie the mother who called in requesting a song for her son who was in a near-fatal car accident, Delilah played James Taylor's "Fire and Rain." The kid lived. Suzanne didn't.

I'd request "California Dreamin'" by The Mamas and The Papas for my mom. We would sing this together when we moved from Anaheim to NJ.

Maxie said...

My friend in the army... I haven't seen him in over 2 years and i miss him so much. I'd probably dedicate "Crazy Bitch" or something else RIDICULOUS because that's how we are :-) maybe sexy back. lol

 
ss_blog_claim=1c43e45eb4927c96edea5f154138fe95