Sunday, June 15, 2008

Stay Classy San Diego


I am having a love affair with the west coast. Its one of those illicit relationships, very romance novel-y (and I am big breasted and swooning), where I have New York, the lover that has yet to let me down- I am only searching for it's faults...I am restless but it is "stable", that everyone says is "right" but the taste of salt and the lure of sun kissed skin, natural oils and rustled hair makes me want to wrap myself back into the arms of the west coast, leave all of my things and start wearing tie-dye, pooka shells, and flimsy bikini tops, staying bed all day with the scent of "him" on my skin.

I want to take long naps in the sand, burying my feet under to keep them warm, read memoirs and rent a studio Oceanside. I want to fill my rooms with fresh flowers, every window open-the sound of the waves and the birds, people rollerblading and honking horns on handlebars.
I want shelves with knickknacks, seashells and handpicked shiny rocks. I want candles that burn throughout the day, patchouli oils and incense. I want vintage woven baskets with fresh fruit, afghan carpets, scarves draped over rocking chairs and patio furniture. I want to smell of a long day OUT in the sea, I want my shoulders to be browned and warm, my cheeks pink and my legs strong from running in the sand. I want to wake up every morning and stretch my heart towards the ocean and breathe in it's sound. My inner instincts tell me San Diego is perfect, right now. And maybe that's all it is....right now. But it's hard (being the mere mortal that I am) to not wonder, but what happens when I'm not here, right now- how do I feel then? What if I want this, "right now" all the time?

My family and I are here and enjoying RIGHT NOW more than anything, "June gloom" was what we were greeted with but that hasn't stopped us from surfing, and eating icecream on the boardwalk. Family vacations are always amusing, we ARE the Griswold's. Even when I was a kid my Daddy was eerily similar to Chevy Chase, he even fell through the ceiling in my room once trying to, "catch that damn bird!" in the attic. Thus far, all of us are still in once piece but we like to pummel through everywhere as if we're bulls in a china cabinet, and I as full of graceful as I am- have only broken one glass.
We make friends and scenes wherever we go, we're buoyant people with high energy and very clear love for each other and laughter- my Dad, like Chevy is always bumbling around making everything as "perfect" as family vacations should be, in the most inappropriate and entertaining manner. Though we have yet to get drunk and dance on any tables like previous vacations. No, seriously.

Tonight at dinner we told our waiter we were celebrating, when he said, "HAPPY FATHERS DAY!" my Dad had completely forgotten but genuinely meant we were celebrating...."What are you celebrating then?" our response, "...life!" and just like that, each one of our desserts came out with flaming, very high, sparklers CRACKLING madly through the restaurant, "TO LIFE! CHEERS!"

So here in SD, as I do my best to restrain myself from speaking in an Anchorman, Ron Burgandy voice everywhere I go, I am celebrating life. The scenary and shirtless men are specimans alone. Anyone with 0% body fat should be considered a piece of art. I have yet to look at my cell phone, have managed to work at night when everyone is already asleep and haven't asked what time it was since we got here. Leaving behind the things that we're usually so tangled up in (internet and television included) I have been looking at all the things that I usually would have missed and with that have shaken my inner (sometimes dormant) bohemian to wake up again.

I'm going to bed tonight legs sore from the running and the "attempted" surfing, tired from being a part of the day, and intoxicated from the overwhelming feeling of freeness, that I feel here.....and as the stars align, maybe some more time for me, here will too. And right now, it is perfection.

35 comments:

cessie said...

Mmm, San Diego...
I lived there as a 10-year-old but never got to know the city myself (when Dad does all the driving it's not your town...) But I did make friends with the ocean. :)

Your post certainly inspired me to re-make the acquaintance properly someday, because even if I still call SD my old home-town-for-a-year, he's still just a beautiful stranger. Although he left traces by ruining me with a Californian accent forever. (Mind you, it sticks out if you're a Swede...)

Happy vacationing! :)

andrea said...

Sounds like such a great time! I've never been to a West Coast beach, and actually, I haven't been to a beach in about four years. Sorta sad. Hopefully this will change soon.

Kim said...

Wow, what a great idea to just celebrate life as it is. :-)

Justin Jones said...

oh man -- now you're making me jealous! You know I'm having serious SoCal withdrawals!

next stop, Tokyo? ehh.. meet me in Rio!

Alexis said...

That sounds wonderful, and a vacation would be so fantastic right now. It's that time where everyone needs one... :)

Summer said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE San Diego!! I would move back there if I could... it was always perfect to me.

Lizzie M said...

Ah yes, June gloom--the first time I went to SD it was in June for my graduation from college five years ago and, yeah, sitting on the beach in your North Face fleece? Not the SD I had pictured!! Have a great time!!!

nicoleantoinette said...

You're in Cali again?! Come see meeeee :)

Chelsea Talks Smack said...

Justin- When are we going?! :)

nicoleantoinette- I am in SD with the fam...we're here until Friday and I dont think I can get away, we've still gotta go to sea world ;) ....I'LL BE BACK SOON! xo

Sarah said...

that was beautiful! i really need a vacation now :)

Sophia said...

I love the idea of being "a part of the day." Enjoy the rest of your blissful vacation!

Carrie said...

I love those type of family vacations...just hanging out, "celebrating life," as your dad so aptly put it. Good times!

Benedict Smith said...

I grew up in San Diego....i'm considering moving to LA in January...no place like the west coast.

Tha BossMack TopSoil said...

I'ts lovely out here right now.

Katelin said...

how can you not love san diego? it's pretty freaking fabulous.

seantheflexguy said...

Ok... here is the deal. I have lived a number of places and SD is pretty good. I live in a beach community known as PB. This is inside SD county but about 10 miles from downtown. PB is pretty much where you want to be though, at least for the beginning stages. OB is a little more close to what you're thinking about in your blog post. Hippies, etc. The thing about SD is that it's not beach loving, free spirited folks as you might think. SD and SoCal in general is filled with over-the-top conceded, arrogant, impatient, impolite people. Now granted there are some kats that are pretty kool; BUT the majority of the heads you meet are not what you are expecting... Now... that aside. SD as a place, the nature, the water, the air, the trees, birds, etc. don't even think twice just move. It's all more than you could have imagined in your bestest, bestest fantasy. Surfing, yes. Beauty, yes. Culture, yes. Beach, yes, Sun, yes. Assholes... oh man don't even get me started. It's like most things in life though you have to take the good with the bad I guess. The only other caveat is the cost of living. People warned me and I didn't listen... Listen to me now, for real...no...fo really real. Be ready. SD will eat your funds for breakfast. Hell, it will eat any funds you can acquire for a pre-breakfast snack.

Anway, I found your post randomly and just wanted to give you the REAL 411 on SD, like I wish someone would have given me. I'm not saying don't move there. I'm just saying watch out and be prepared for the items I have outlined.

Great post btw. Good luck to you in your move if you decide to do it...

Repeck!!

Ace said...

Want to get a too small apartment near the beach in SD and decorate it in blue and white and everything soft. You in? I'll being the Burgandy if you bring the wine.

Mike said...

I would KILL to see someone with 0% body fat, if only to see them burst out of their skin at the slightest flex of the muscle.

That would be even more funny than some dork lighting an M80 in his closed hand.

Thank you Chelsea, you always manage to give me the most interesting visuals, even if that particular visual wasn't the one you were going for ;)

Chelsea Talks Smack said...

seantheflexguy- thank you for "warning" ....I understand what you're saying, though I DO live in NYC and I'm pretty sure it doesn't get a whole lot more expensive than that....and in Manhattan. ALSO, I lived in L.A. if we're talking about assholes, I know ALL about them....its choosing how your respond (or don't respond) to them....not to mention, I'm in the entertainment industry.....With that being said, I think we all create and live in our own worlds, if we decide something is going to be beautiful it will be, not perfect but your closest version of perfection. Who knows what I'll do....I DO LOVE SD though....AND! I'm actually in PB, maybe i've seen you...jogging or something? lol ;)

ACE- LEEETS DO IIIIT!

Meghan said...

Your post is better marketing than any brochure I've seen of San Diego.

Enjoy the affair. New York doesn't need to know.

L.C.T. said...

So well written. I love celebrating life! Haven't been stateside in a good few months... that posts makes me want to get straight back out there!

Mel Heth said...

Thank you for reminding me why I love Southern California so much. :)

Jess said...

You are so poetic. I kind of want to go to San Diego now. I haven't been since I was five.

Lauren said...

I've never been to San Diego but I really want to go now. Great description!

Rebekah said...

Oh, I want a family vacation!

And you SHOULD get out the cell phone, if for no other reason than to take pictures of those 0% body fat shirtless men and post them here ASAP.

bloggingbarbie said...

this post was simply lovely.

lovely.

xo, bb

Melain said...

Again you astound me with your descriptive writing. I'd do pretty much anything to get to a California beach now!

Princess Pointful said...

I can't get over how delightful every ounce of your trip sounds. How long has it been since my family has gone on a holiday together...?

emmaenlighted said...

Yes! I'm back on the West Coast too and I know exactly what you mean. I'm glad you're enjoying it! I loved your descriptions of everything :)

Rhoobs said...

awww you're in my city. don't worry our weather is going to get better.... and the "gloom" normally burns off by noon. let me know if you need any restaurant or tourist tips.. i've lived in San Diego my whole life and i love it and know every inch of the city.

fruitfly4 said...

woody allen got it all wrong, huh? sheesh! now i want to go to the west coast, and i'm a jersey girl to my heart!

Vanessa said...

You have managed to perfectly articulate my indecisiveness between NYC and Seattle. Both tug at my heart, both so different. How in the world do you choose just one???

just me said...

I am so, SO jealous about CA and your family vacation.

NYC is just not the same without you. And it's certainly not the beach.

Larissa said...

"San Diago..." I ALWAYS say that in a Ron Burgundy voice when I visit.

Chelsea Talks Smack said...

princess pointful- actually its been a couple years....we are good about takin vacations, we usually take a lot but we hadnt taken a big one that wasn't dance related (my ma's studio) in some time. THOUGH we do all go to grand lake in CO every summer...the whole damn fam, aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents, EVERYONE. GOOD TIMES.

 
ss_blog_claim=1c43e45eb4927c96edea5f154138fe95