Sunday, January 11, 2009

Sometimes, I'm totally unaware of what a HOT MESS I can be.




"The AIM of life is to LIVE and to live means to be aware. Joyously, drunkenly, divinely aware."



I just came across and old journal of mine, one that was my companion for the greater part of my life while living in L.A. It was my steady routine; wake up, make coffee, and a bowl of oatmeal, drive- find a place to write and I'd write for two hours everyday- words, thoughts, quotes, songs, theories...whatever. Then when the writing was over, I never really looked at it again...until today, when I found all of these little nuggets of truth that I really needed to be reminded of. Some the things I'd released onto the pages were things that, once out of my head, were set into motion....like writing the thoughts down made them come to life, without knowing that there was a plan in place for them. For instance, I had added all of these pictures- a girl taking pictures in Paris, alone, free (I did that), a woman singing with a scruffy hair boy playing guitar behind her (I did that), a woman holding a computer and a wad of cash (symbolizing to me making money through writing and the mobile freedom, I do that), anyway....the things go on and on. I'd subconsciously created the things I wanted to see in my life.


Then today when I was having a moment of "holy Jesus, WHAT THE FUCK next?!" I opened the journal so a few pages of idea and quotes from Twyla Tharp's book The Creative Habit and they were all things I desperately needed some tuning up on, like a perfectly good guitar that is usable, with all the right tools just completely "out of tune" literally, figuratively.....whatever. This is what I came across:


1. Venturing out of your comfort zone (though this isn't usually a problem for me) may be dangerous, yet you do it anyways because your ability to grown is DIRECTLY proportional to an ability to entertain the uncomfortable.


2. Big ideas cease to exist if you don't follow up with them with a steady string of small ideas that make them reality. (this is directly related to ANYTHING, even small things like saying you're going to redecorate your kitchen.)


3. If you LISTEN, you will hear ideas.



4."...it's better an imperfect dome in Florence than cathedrals in the clouds."


5. There's an emotional like to over planning; it creates a security blanket that lets you assume you have things under control, that you are further along than you really are, that you are home free when you haven't even walked out the door yet.


6. CREATIVITY is an act of DEFIANCE- you're challenging the status quo- you're questioning truths and principles. Asking; why do I have to obey the rules??


7.Habitually creative people are "prepared to be lucky."


8.PICK A FIGHT WITH THE SYSTEM; yours includes- rules, rituals, routine.


9.When you're in a rut you have to question everything except your ability to get out of it.


10. Knowing when to stop is almost as crucial as knowing when to start......

AND these are just ten of the things I'd written down out of pages and pages....they're simply the ones that are speaking to me now. We all have rough days, days where we're completely missing the mark in every way possible...so sometimes, a little reminder from an old journal, friend, quote from a Starbucks cup.... (hey, those are good quotes) are needed. Like the quote above, AWARENESS- awareness when things are right or wrong, when you're energy is off or the thing standing in your way of your happiness, or being aware when the people in your life are no longer serving a greater purpose and are working as road blocks instead....we must be aware.

Be aware of the things that turn you on, the things that make you excited like a kid on Christmas Eve. Aware of when all of your senses feel the most alive, aware of the touches that give you chills and the things that make you sick to your stomach....aware of the people who make you feel radiant and the people who make you feel gray....


Live. drunkenly. divinely. aware.







18 comments:

tmamone said...

Literally drunkenly? What if you can't drink too much?

Chelsea Talks Smack said...

Hey, drunk- literally or FIGURATIVELY, whatevers clever.

Kern said...

Words I need to hear right now, even if I don't want to.

Classy in Philadelphia said...

Wow! This is incredible!

LucyInDaSky said...

I did something like that recently. I know the totally-floored-holy-crap-that's-awesome or what-was-I-thinking train of thought.

I dig it though

<3

KatieSaysSo said...

omg this is so great!!! can i just say how much i love that you have been blogging more lately!!!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!

Katelin said...

this post is great, i love it. love this one especially: If you LISTEN, you will hear ideas.

it's so true in so many ways, besides the obvious, haha.

mn said...

i like the thought, when you are in a rut, question everything EXCEPT your ability to get out of it. I think I'd feel a lot less stressed if I just did that more often.

L.L. said...

I haven't been able to keep a physical, paper journal since I was 16. I have no idea why, my thoughts flow better from the keyboard than the pen...

Meeks said...

Totally needed this today. The pic especially...needed to remember that it's always there (like your rock in the river!!) and take a deep breath. Thanks doll.
PS...can we go back now? Like. Immediately??!

Nico said...

De-lurking to tip my hat at this post.

You are a ray of damned sunshine, and I salute you.

Chelsea Talks Smack said...

katie says so-= thank you, I just hope people are still reading so thank you for being one of them!!!

meeks- AH, you remember my rock :) I would love to go back.

nico- THANK YOU. That comment made my day. CHEERS.

Lindsay said...

These are great pieces of advice. I'm bookmarking this post for when I'm having one of those days, which likely to be later this month as I get into the intense part of job searching!

Erin said...

Awareness.....Now I'm aware I need it

Exposed said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ExposedNYC said...

Your old journals are WAY cooler than the ones I find filled with "Went to Jill's house to read books today" and "I 'heart' Joe McIntyre" (which doesring strangely true today... :)

Emily said...

wow. thank u so much. this post just really inspired me. no, literally! i just wrote that first quote on the expo board in my kitchen. exactly what i needed to hear.

dionne said...

Your expression is exquisite~!

 
ss_blog_claim=1c43e45eb4927c96edea5f154138fe95