Tuesday, April 7, 2009

"But it's so delicious, I don't want to spit......."


....oh get your mind out of the gutter. That's the feeling of absolute remorse and agony that I've had the past couple days each time I swirl a sip of award winning Semillion, Cabernet Franc, Reisling, (just to name a few) that are purged in a giant vat of "spit wine", reluctantly leaving my mouth. If you were to drink all the incredible purged wines in one glass would it be the Super Hulk of good wine? The Suicide of vino? A super power. Any willing to give it a sip and find out....? I'm afraid my bravery fails me on that one.

I'm in the midst of a press trip to Walla Walla, Tri-Cities and Yakima to build up the tourism and recognition of Washington wine country. I'm having the crash course in wine tasting, as someone who frequently chugs gallons of Carlo Rossi now sipping some of the finest wines in the world, echoing the sentiments of writers from Wine Enthusiast, Wine Spectator and "pineapple! I do taste the pineapple!", I've become a human sponge. My palate is on overload and yeah, that's right, I said it- Carlo has an acre or so of my heart, but I'm learning that I need to make space for more "vino love", for the good stuff.

Four days, over twentysomething vineyards, which is barely the surface- there's some 160+ vineyards, little me, a notebook, and a thirst.

I could hibernate here. I could take up glass blowing (which the owner of Barnard Griffin has done), have long dinners, get to know the chefs and pick locally grown fruits and veggies. I would start collecting something and actually take "long walks", I'd know my neighbors and I'd learn how to make beautiful crostinis for snacking between sipping. Obviously,it's easy to see why the people who live here are such champions of their state, so much so, I'm romanticizing what it's like just to walk on a day to day basis on these grounds.

Winery owners that are making QUAN are still out in the vineyards, obsessing over barrels, tending to the fruit, caring for it with kid gloves-genuinely in love with their lives.

You always hear people say, "Someday I'll retire (move to Tuscany, quit my job, FILL IN THE BLANK) and I'll own a vineyard." It's this romanticized idea of what it means to live "the good life", la dolce vita. Then, you meet the people who are doing it, within seconds you see why they're the "lucky ones" actually doing it. They're hardworking, they're humble and they just started it because, they had a passion for it. What a concept huh? Following your passion.

Not one of the people I've talked to has said they were afraid it was too big of a gamble to invest their heart in, even when most people think passion+heart is the biggest gamble. After all, there's much more to lose when you're hearts a part of your work.

Yet, it's proof in the glass that the quality of what you're creating, the quality of the way you're living, is so much better because of the motivation behind the action. The motivation simply being, at the end of the day, you want to sit down, go through the ceremony of opening a bottle and have a really fantastic glass of wine. That's it. Ha, no wonder we aspire to that lifestyle.

More updates to come.....


What's your definition of "LIVING THE GOOD LIFE???"

23 comments:

cavy said...

i WILL own a vineyard someday (i want to get in on the Villa Nottola action in tuscany) and i will make vino nobile until the day i die.

and the good life is just like you said - doing something you have a PASSION for and are HUMBLED by.

sounds like you had a blast!

Cass said...

The real question is...how are the Yakima wines? I've had my fair share of wine from the wineries in Woodinville but haven't made it over the mountains so much for tastings. The boyfriend is from there and during our trips back we haven't made it to any of them.

Anonymous said...

台北搬家公司請找e時代,讓你搬家好輕鬆。

kwərk said...

Ah...sounds fantastic.

Good life is what you make it, how you choose to live no matter what your circumstances you can treasure what you do have.

And hopefully you have wine. ;)

tmamone said...

You're supposed to spit it out? Damn, if I knew that I could avoid getting hammered every time I go to a wine fest!

For me, I guess living la dolce vita (weird movie) would be being able to travel more (the farthest I've been is New York), and making enough off of writing to support my family. One day, hopefully.

Stephanie said...

I have a friend from Yakima!!

And I really <3 wine.

A Margarita said...

This entire post is the DEFINITION of Heaven on Earth for me.

flipflops said...

Washington state really has a great variety of good wineries and vineyards. I was lucky enough to explore most of them before moving away! I'm glad you were able to make it up that way -- sounds like you're having a blast!

Lily said...

Oh, I just absolutely love this! I would KILL to do a wine-tasting/touring trip and this sounds amazing. I'm a regular drinker of Trader J's Three Buck Chuck, but that would be extraordinary...

Living the good life - facing your fears and accomplishing something you always WISHED you could do.

Little Ms Blogger said...

Living the good life changes for me, but the one constant is having a sense of peace within myself.

That doesn't mean sitting still, it just means I know I'm in the right place.

Surfergrrl said...

wow, I'm so jealous! It is funny that a lot of people romanticize about owning a vineyard...i guess part of it may be the excuse/awesomeness of having to drink wine every day. :)

the good life? it definitely involves living very close, if not on the beach. It doesn't have to be fancy, but it involves bbq and drinking wine with close friends on our (whoever is with me to make up the "our") outdoor patio. and owning my own business which bring me at least enough income to afford said beach house.

nicoleantoinette said...

Ah! Wine tasting! {cue furious jealousy}

Elle said...

You named it - owning a vineyard. God, that sounds amazing.

Kellie said...

That would definitely be the good life and I'm so jealous of you being there right now. My idea of the good life (retirement) would be owning a huge yacht and sailing around the world. Awesome...

Matt said...

1. I used to drink Carlos Rossi Rhine by the handle.

2. Though it would be nice, something tells me there's alot of work involved with owning a winery... and I guess my definition of the good life doesn't involve me picking grapes eight hours a day.

Will Hennessy said...

great post! couldn't agree more with all of it...

Susan said...

I love wine so much. I think I would like to live on a boat and go wherever I want anytime.

Chelsea Talks Smack said...

Ah, I love hearing everyones "good lives"....I hope we all are doing whatever we can to actually live them.

Lil S said...

I've always wanted to go on a wine tour... I've only been to a vineyard once, and you're right - there's something so calm in the atmosphere that it makes you want to live the good life too.

Je (20-Something) said...

Chelsea! How cool you got to come to Washington and enjoy our state a bit. I've wine tasted in both Walla Walla and Yakima - it's usually a drunken sunny fun fest. I hope the weather was nice for you - but I'm disappointed you didn't make it to Seattle! (Or did you?)

Cal said...

HAhaha...I swear my mind did NOT go straight to the gutter with that title. I went on a double date once with my roommate and two guys we were seeing. The boys took us to a wine tasting...only we refused to spit. We just drank 'er right up and were definitely the only buzzed ones at the end of the night. Whatever...we got our (well the boys') moneys worth! (Disclaimer: we were barely 21. Now we're much more refined and mature...)

Chelsea Talks Smack said...

JE-I was in Seattle for a few hours. I LOVE seattle though. LOVE. LOVE. LOVE. I could live there...who knows, maybe someday I will!

Anonymous said...

"Super-Duper web site! I'm loving it!! Will occur again once more - taking you feeds also, With thanks."

--------------------------------------------
美国移民
Also welcome you!

 
ss_blog_claim=1c43e45eb4927c96edea5f154138fe95